* Follow Raúl on Instagram to see the latest art, books and other updates!
* Raúl wanted to work forHighwater Books (before he realized it was like, two dudes in an apartment who made books at kinkos)
* The artwork for the LOWRIDERS series was inspired by, of course, Lowrider Magazine, as well as the Chicano art of drawing on handkerchiefs, known as paños.
* A little about Raúl and Elaine's forthcoming co-created graphic novel series, THE SNIPS! (LittleBrown, 2024)
* About the Pura Belpré Award, including a list of past winners. VAMOS, LET'S CROSS THE BRIDGE was a gold medal winner for illustration in 2022. VAMOS, LET'S GO EAT was a gold medal winner in 2021. VAMOS, LET'S GO TO THE MARKET was a silver medal winner in 2020. LOWRIDERS TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH was a gold medal winner in 2017.
* The character of "Mr Posada" from VAMOS, LET'S GO READ, who teaches the kids to make comics, is based on the real life José Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913), an artist, lithographer and political cartoonist whose images of Calaveras have become synonymous with Mexican folk art and Day of the Dead imagery, and who was a major influence on Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, among others.
* My gnome book obsession reminded Raúl of David the Gnome, a cartoon from our childhood, based on the book!
* Elaine is obsessed with exercise, in particular Tai Chi practices - her daily regimen includes the Eighth Brocade and Cat-Cow pose.
* Raúl is obsessed by the IDW Artisan Editions